In response to the challenges posed by COVID-19, Harvard University is transitioning to virtual instruction for graduate and undergraduate classes. Houghton Library is ready to help you plan remote sessions, activities, and access to digitized materials. Please see our teaching page for full details.
Houghton Library is Harvard College's rare books and manuscripts library. The collections at Houghton focus on the study of Western civilization and are especially strong in American, Continental, and English history and literature, but also include significant cultural materials from around the world representing a wide range of experiences. The collections encompass diverse holdings: from the world famous to the entirely unknown, the ancient to the immediate. We host classes in the arts, humanities, sciences, and more.
In August 2019, Houghton Library closed to begin a renovation. Our goal: to make the building more accessible and welcoming while enhancing research and teaching spaces. To learn more about the renovation and interim services, visit the Houghton Renovation website. While the renovation is underway, the library's collections continue to be accessible for teaching and research.Recent classes at the Houghton Library include Arrivals, Elementary Syriac and Latin 1300-1600.
- Assistance with selection of materials
- Bibliography of materials used in class
- Introduction to Archives and Special Collections Research
- Pre-class appointment for instructor (required for first time requester, recommended for everyone)
- Houghton Library Research Guide
- Synchronous discussions and/or breakout room activities
- Support for student-led digital curation of exhibits and collections
- Live demos with materials
- Custom videos of staff interacting with objects
- Custom imaging
- Asynchronous activity design and monitoring
- Canvas course librarian
Class limit: (none)
The Houghton Library does not have a publicly available calendar. When making a request, please submit with your preferred times and a staff member will get back to you.